(also called Friderichsværn
(1900) and abbreviated Frsværn
) was an important Norwegian naval base, just south of Larvik
. The town of Stavern
has in many ways come to be because of this naval base.
Fredriksvern or Stavern
has probably been a harbor since ancient times. The name is found in written sources the 11th century and in the 12th century it is referred to as a good fishing harbor.
The military activities in Stavern began with building of Staverns Fortress
, part of a major construction of Norwegian Fortresses
which took place from 1675 to 1679 under Christian IV
. Citadellet Fort was built in the 1680s by count Fredrik Gyldenløve
and had an important role during the last Nordic war from 1709 to 1720.
During the winter of 1748 - 1749 Fredrik V
ordered construction of a shipyard and a drydock in Norway and in 1750 the first Norwegian naval command base was constructed. The king did so as a defensive measure in the event of a war with Sweden. A naval station in Norway could support land strength in the event of a Swedish invasion by cutting off naval transport of Swedish troops and supplies, reducing the risk of such an invasion. Fredriksværns Værft
(the shipyard) was finished in 1750 and a number of vessels were built there, including a frigate
Fredriksvern Church was finished in 1756 as the garrison church in a style with influences from both renaissance and baroque.
The main base for the......