The Free City of Danzig
, sometimes referred to as the Republic of Danzig
, was a semi-independent state established by Napoleon
on September 9, 1807, during the time of the Napoleonic Wars
following the capture of the city in the siege of Danzig
in May. This territory was carved out from lands that made up part of the Kingdom of Prussia
, consisting of the city of Danzig (now known as Gdańsk
) along with its rural possessions on the mouth of Vistula
, together with the Hel Peninsula
and the southern half of the Vistula Spit
. From late January to 29 November 1813, Russian forces laid siege
to the city and the French occupying forces withdrew on 2 January 1814.
After the Congress of Vienna
of 1814/5, Danzig was reincorporated into Prussia. Although made the capital of a district and the province of West Prussia
, the traditional autonomy of the city was significantly reduced.