was a Polish automobile marque
manufactured from 1951 to 1973 by the Fabryka Samochodów Osobowych
The Warszawa was the first new-design Polish car built after the Second World War
. Warszawas were popular as taxis because of their sturdiness and ruggedness. However, due to their weight they were underpowered and had high fuel consumption. In total, 254,471 cars were made.
Original M20 model
Named after the city of Warsaw
, the Warszawa was until 1957 identical
to the Soviet Pobeda
, built under license. The first major modernisation took place in 1957. The new model was called FSO Warszawa M20 model 57, but not so long after its name was changed to Warszawa 200. New model received a restyled front-end section. The powertrain was modified too, compression ratio was raised from 6.2:1 to 6.8:1.
Later 223 model
Since 1962 car could be equipped with the OHV
I4 engine. It was much more modern than the archaic sidevalve construction used before. In 1964 the body style was changed to a Ponton
, three-box design
by then becoming mainstream in Europe, though the car retained a rather heavy style to western eyes.
In 1967 it was announced that Perkins
four cylinder 1.76-litre diesel engines would be fitted in export market Warszawas, which were scheduled to debut at the Poznań International Fair
in June 1967.
The Warszawa was the basis for two rigid panel vans
, the Żuk
(made from 1958 to... Read More