Fulbourn Hospital, known as the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum for Cambridgeshire, the Isle of Ely and the Borough of Cambridge at the time of its opening in 1858, is a mental health facility located between the Cambridgeshire villages of Fulbourn and Cherry Hinton, about south-east of the centre of Cambridge.
Until recently the main Victorian building was used as a psychiatric hospital, while the 1960s Kent House to the west was built for acute mental health patients and the Ida Darwin Hospital to the east was developed for the mentally handicapped. The main buildings have now been transformed into a Business Park although some acute facilities remain. From 540 patients at the hospitals in 1981 the number has been considerably reduced, with many ex-patients being moved into the community.
Wards at Fulbourn Hospital
Adrian House Ward
No. 1 The Drive (closed)
George McKenzie House
Older peoples' services
David Clarke House
Department of Clinical Psychology
Social Work Department
Mental Health Chaplain
Patients Leisure Centre
Art Therapies Service
Physiotherapy Department and Gym
The Lunacy Act 1845 and County Asylums Act 1845 mandated that all rate-levying authorities must provide a public asylum. In 1848 there was an agreement to set up a pauper lunatic asylum between Fulbourn and Cherry Hinton. The... Read More