, London (formerly in Middlesex
), England, at one time the main residence of the Bishop of London
, is of medieval origin. It was the country home of the Bishops of London from at least 11th century until 1975, when it was vacated. It is still owned by the Church of England
, although managed by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
and the Fulham Palace Trust
. It is adjacent to Bishop's Park
, houses a museum of the palace's history, and has an extensive botanical garden
During the extensive restorations from 2001–06, excavations on the grounds of Fulham Palace have revealed the remains of several former large scale buildings and even evidence of Neolithic and Roman settlements.
The second phase of works will be subject to the success of a future bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund
Habitation on the land on which the Palace stands can be traced back to as early as 700 AD, when ownership passed to Waldhere, Bishop of London
. The estate was owned by the Bishops of London for over 1300 years and the Palace was their country home from at least the 11th century, and their main residence from the 18th century until 1975.
The Palace is now managed jointly by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and the Fulham Palace Trust, though it is still owned by the Church of England.
Part of the Palace grounds was converted into allotment
during World War II. They have remained in use since then allowing local people to grow their own... Read More