is the oldest community college
in continuous operation in California
, having been established in 1913. Current enrollment is 22,014.
History 1913 to 1972
In April, 1913, the governing board of Fullerton High School
approved a motion to establish a two-year postgraduate course of study, at the high school. At this time, Fullerton
was primarily an agricultural community, which specialized in the production of citrus produce. That enabled Delbert Brunton, who was the Fullerton High principal, to begin the new Fullerton Junior College, as the means of providing that postgraduate study. Twenty-six freshman students enrolled in that first year, with a curriculum of 10 courses. "In 1922 the college was reorganized as an independent junior college district. After holding classes on the Fullerton High School campus for its first 23 years, the college began moving to its own fourteen acre campus next door in 1936.
The college's first newspaper, The Weekly Torch, was introduced in 1923, in addition to its annual Torch Magazine. The Torch newspaper was later renamed The Weekly Hornet, and has been in continuous publication since then. The first club at Fullerton Junior College, the Literary Club, was formed in its second year, followed by the Collegians and the College Woman’s Club the following... Read More