Fullerton Union High School
is a public high school
located in the Orange County, California
city of Fullerton
, United States
operated by the Fullerton Joint Union High School District
In 1893 a special election
was held to create Fullerton Union High School. The school's first classroom, a rented room on the second floor of the Fullerton Elementary School building, was adequate to house the eight pupils, which constituted the first year's enrollment and the 32 books which made up the library. The high school was the second in Orange County
In 1908, FUHS's enrollment was increasing at the rate of 18 percent a year. To accommodate the growth, the school was moved to new quarters on West Commonwealth Avenue, an area now known as Amerige Park.
School enrollment continued to grow and within two years a new polytechnic building was built to ease the overcrowding. But on November 17, 1910, the day before it could be occupied, the older FUHS building burned to the ground. FUHS was housed in the polytechnic building and four tents that year. After the fire, the school's trustees debated the best location for rebuilding. The district owned the ground on which the polytechnic building stood, but the campus was small, and school work was disrupted by the numerous Santa Fe
trains that roared by each day.
In 1911, the present site was purchased one block east of Harbor (Spadra) Boulevard. A walnut
orchard was removed prior to building, and the former site was sold to the City of... Read More