Pisa Galileo Galilei International Airport
() is an airport
located in Pisa
. It is one of the two main airports in Tuscany
, together with Peretola Airport
. It is named after Galileo Galilei
, the famous scientist and native of Pisa. It is also known as Pisa-San Giusto Airport
() for its location in the San Giusto
district, from the Pisa city centre. The airport was first developed for the military in the 1930 and 1940s.The airport had 4.067.012 passengers in 2010.
The airport has its own railway station
and Pisa central railway station is away. Connections with Pisa are available by train and bus; bus and train connections to and from Santa Maria Novella railway station
are also available.
Besides civilian operations, the airport is also used extensively by the Aeronautica Militare
(Italian Air Force) and is a base for, amongst others, the C-130 Hercules
and C-27J Spartan
transport aircraft. The airport is home to 46ª Brigata Aerea Silvio Angelucci (46th Air Brigade). During World War II
the airport was used as a base for the 15th Air Force
of the United States Army Air Forces
In 2006 and 2007 the airport was the fastest growing among Italy’s top 15 airports with passenger numbers up 30% in 2006 and 24% in 2007. It is now Italy’s 11th busiest airport handling in 2008 and about passengers in 2009 with a growth of 1,4 %.<ref......