Gare de Lyon-Perrache
station is a large railway station
in the quarter Perrache
, in the 2nd arrondissement of Lyon
. It is situated on the Paris–Marseille railway
, and it is the western terminus of the Lyon–Geneva railway
and the southeastern terminus of the Moret–Lyon railway
. It was built in 1855 by Alexis Cendrier
for the CF du PLM
. The building was built in classical style and is composed of a double rooftop and a large passenger building.
The station lost its view of the city when the transport interchange and dual-carriageway
were built in the 1970s. Although much modern building has somewhat tarnished the look of the area, the station retains much of its original features:
- The station front features the names of towns served by trains departing Lyon-Perrache.
- The platforms are covered by two twin iron rooftops.
It is the terminus of the TGV
Sud-Est line, the high-speed railway line from Paris
. It is also served by conventional trains from other parts of France, and is the terminus of Line A
of the Lyon Metro
. It is also the terminus of one of the Lyon tram lines.
Today, however, Perrache is no longer the primary rail station serving Lyon. Instead, the Gare de Lyon-Part-Dieu
, constructed in the 1970s in a large planned business district outside of the central city, acts as the more popular embarkation point for most high-speed trains, especially to Paris
and the north.