is the main railway station
. It is the southern terminus
of the Paris–Marseille railway
. It opened on 8 January 1848, having been built for the PLM
on the land of the Saint Charles Cemetery. The station is perched on top of a small hill and is linked to the city centre by a monumental set of stairs.
The station was once a stage on the voyage to Africa
and the Middle-East
before the popularisation of flying
. Passengers now arrive from Paris
, the North of France
and the United Kingdom
The station building was built in a U
shape around a rooftop canopy. It was opened in 1848 on top of a plateau. Both wings house the arrivals and departures. To the rear of the station, along Boulevard Voltaire was the station's goods yard which was used up until the end of the 1990s by the SNCF
's road freight operations, Sernam
. The station, first isolated from the town, was equipped with a great staircase. The staircase was envisioned in 1911 and opened in 1926. It is bordered by African and Middle-East inspired statues.
A first extension was opened after World War II
. The buildings on the northside had been destroyed and were rebuilt and housed the administration offices of the SNCF. A new between level
was opened to enhance the flow of passengers.
At the end of the 1990s a redevelopment project began with the opening of the Marseille underground
and bus interchange as well as the arrival of the TGV Méditerranée
A new passenger concourse was... Read More