The station opened its doors in 1847 when the Rouen–Le Havre section of the Paris–Le Havre railway opened to service. The line previously had its terminus at Rouen Rive-Gauche. With the increase in traffic, the construction of the new station on the North bank of the River Seine started. The station building was designed in Art Nouveau style by architect Adolphe Dervaux, with engaged sculpture by Camille Lefèvre. The station was inaugurated on 4 July 1928 by French President Gaston Doumergue. At first named Rue Verte, the station then changed name to Rive-Droite. In 1994 an interchange was built to serve Rouen métro.
With the high speed rail network TGV, Rouen is connected to the following stations: