Garforth railway station
serves the town of Garforth
, near Leeds
in West Yorkshire
. It lies on the York and Selby Lines
and North TransPennine
routes. Garforth is east of Leeds
The station was originally opened by the Leeds and Selby Railway
in 1834. The road bridge crosses the line at an oblique angle; this was considered something of a marvel at the time of construction.
Garforth station also connected with the privately owned Aberford
Railway (known locally as the 'fly line' or simply 'the lines') which closed in 1924, and is now a public path commonly used for horses, dog walkers and travelling to and from Garforth community College part way upon it. East of the station was the junction to the branch line to Castleford
which closed in 1969.
Garforth also has another railway station, East Garforth
, situated approximately east of the main station which was opened in 1987. Though East Garforth is fully accessible to wheelchair users, the main Garforth station is not; wheelchair users can only access platform 2 which serves trains towards Leeds.
operates services to Leeds with most services going beyond towards Bradford Interchange
as well as services to York
to the east.First TransPennine Express
trains also stop at Garforth hourly towards Leeds, Huddersfield
and Manchester Airport
(Liverpool Lime Street
on Sundays) westbound and York and Middlesbrough
on Sundays) eastbound.
High Speed CrossCountry trains travelling... Read More