is a suburb of the South Australian
town of Gawler
, located in the northern Adelaide
metropolitan area region, 43 km north of Adelaide
. It is bordered by the South Para River and the suburbs of Gawler, Reid (Gawler West) and Evanston.
Gawler South is a subdivision of the Gawler township. It has streets named from First to Twenty Fourth, originally named with local identities and royal connections. The suburb has attracted a railway station (see below) and tram line (now disused), racecourse, and Anglican Church during its colonial history. After Federation, suburban infill allowed the nightcart lanes installed into these now suburban blocks to stay at the location.
A railway line was built from Adelaide
in 1879, with the Gawler Railway Station
being established in the Gawler South area. The railway was extended to the Barossa Valley (Angaston
, South Australia
). The Gawler South Station is now still a stationyard for housing trains for the TransAdelaide line to Adelaide.
The housing lots have been arranged in several different directions. This takes into account the stages of development around the suburb. There is a north-south grid orientation around the south-westerly section of the suburb (by the railway station). The shopping precinct along Adelaide Road provides a grid-fashion at approximately 45 degrees to the south-westerly grid. A Housing Trust subdivision was built in the post-World War Two period on the river flats, between... Read More