()Macquarie Dictionary, Fourth Edition
(2005). Melbourne, The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd. ISBN 1-876429-14-3 is a town located on the Burnett River
. It is north of the state capital, Brisbane
, and west of the regional city of Maryborough
. The Burnett Highway
passes through the town. At the 2006 census
, Gayndah had a population of 1,745.
Exploration of the Gayndah area began in 1843. The first European settlers arrived in 1848, and the town was established in the following year. A post office
was established at Gayndah in 1850.New South Wales Government Gazette
, 19 January 1850, cited by Frew, Joan (1981). Queensland Post Offices 1842–1980 and Receiving Offices 1869–1927
, p. 277. Fortitude Valley, Queensland: published by the author, ISBN 0 9593973 0 2. Agriculture and grazing have been the dominant industries of the area. The town is the centre of Queensland's largest citrus
-growing area. The Gayndah Orange Festival is held every two years to celebrate this industry.
Gayndah was considered for the capital of Queensland, but lost to Brisbane because the river was not deep enough, making it impossible for large cargo ships to unload near the town. Gayndah is the oldest official town in Queensland. The explorers Archer and James Charles Burnett established it in 1847.
The name Gayndah is of Aboriginal
origin and comes either from Gu-in-dah
... Read More