is a village in Nottinghamshire
, that is now a suburb
of Greater Nottingham
. It is situated four miles north-east of Nottingham
city centre in the NG4 postcode. Gedling village was once a distinct settlement, which was recorded in the Domesday Book
.Due to the growth of Nottingham, it is difficult to separate Gedling from the neighbouring town of Carlton
Gedling was first settled around Saxon
times, when the Saxon chief Gedl (hence the name Gedling, coming from the chief "Gedl" and "Ing" being Saxon for People, Gedl-Ing meaning "Gedl's People") sailed up the River Trent
, and then up the Little Ouse dyke, until he could get no further up stream. He landed at the spot which is thought to be the present day site of All Saints Church. Gedling has had several version of its name including, Ghellinge, Gedlinga, Geddlings, and Gettang.
The local school is the . There is a Sainsburys
convenience store on Arnold Lane, and a Co-op
supermarket on Gedling Road. In the older part of Gedling is All Hallows Anglican Church. It dates from the 11th century, with the oldest part of the church (the entrance) dating back to 1089 - although there have been four other churches on this site, the oldest dating back to the year 678AD. Gedling Colliery (which was once the life-blood of Gedling, and many of the other villages surrounding Gedling), opened in 1899 and was closed in 1991.
There are now plans to redevelop the site into a country park, to... Read More