The General George Crook House Museum
is located at 5730 North 30th Street in Fort Omaha
. The Fort is located in the Miller Park
neighborhood of North Omaha
. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
in 1969, and is a contributing property to the Fort Omaha Historic District
In 1878, General George Crook
moved headquarters for the Department of the Platte
from downtown Omaha to Fort Omaha. The General Crook home was built in 1879 to be the residence of the Commander. Constructed in an Italianate
design, the building consists of two stories with a grand garden surrounding it. Crowned by hipped roofs, the building is asymmetrical in plan and is in good condition. A long one-story porch projects from its eastern facade.
General George Crook was the only Commander to occupy the home, as the Department was disbanded after his tenure. In November, 1879, Crook and his wife entertained General and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant
at the home. In September 1880, President Rutherford B. Hayes
stayed there while he was reviewing the troops at the Fort.
After Crook left Fort Omaha, the house served as a home to each of the subsequent commanders of the Fort. In 1905, the house was used as an officer's club
and mess hall
. In 1930, it... Read More