General Emilio Aguinaldo is politically subdivided into 14 barangays (4 urban, 10 rural).
The municipality of General Emilio Aguinaldo used to be a Catholic parish in the town of Maragondon. It was founded by virtue of a decree issued on August 28, 1857 by Archbishop Fray Aranguren, OSA, of the Archdiocese of Manila. The decree separated the barrios of Batas and Guyong-guyong from the town of Maragondon, naming the new parish Bailen. It is recounted that a group of citizens from Barrio Batas petitioned Spanish Governor General Fernando Norzagaray to convert their barrio into a municipality because of its distance from the town proper. Giving due course to the petition, the Spanish Governor approved the request on August 2, 1858. Bailen, the former name of the town, was coined from the Spanish word bailar, meaning to dance. Another claims that it was named after a Spanish town of the same name. The American civil government, from 1899-1901, reduced the number of town to facilitate... Read More