The Melbourne General Post Office
(also known as Melbourne's GPO
or simply GPO
), is a former post office
. Located on the corner of Elizabeth Street
and Bourke Street
in the heart of the Melbourne CBD
it is a landmark of the city and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register
The former purpose built post office
building currently functions as a shopping mall
, having been redeveloped for adaptive reuse
The location of it remains important as it is still officially used as a measure of distances from the centre of Melbourne.
The first General Post Office was declared in 13 April 1837, shortly after the naming of Melbourne.
The foundation stone was laid on its present site in 1859 and built to the design of A.E.Johnson in the Renaissance Revival style. The building was later extended in 1887 with a larger clock tower, extra storeys and applied with a Second Empire
styled mansard roofline
. Plans for the building were never completed.
The interior sorting hall was redesigned between 1907 and 1919.
In 2001, the GPO ceased to function as an office of Australia Post
. A planning application for an upmarket shopping mall
A hotel development with thirteen-storey hotel was proposed, but never eventuated.
The hall was gutted by fire in 2001. The building was restored as a retail centre... Read More