The Georges Creek Coal and Iron Company
is a defunct coal mining
producer and railroad
company that operated in Maryland
from 1835 to 1863.
The company was formed in 1835, and chartered in the State of Maryland
on March 29, 1836. The president was John Henry Alexander, who also happened to be the Maryland State Engineer.
Between 1837 and 1839, the company built an iron furnace in Lonaconing, Maryland
. The furnace, fueled by coke
, went into blast in 1839. There was plenty of iron ore
, water, and coal
locally, but the major problem the company faced was transporting finished products to market. Production reached 75 tons per week, and local iron needs were quickly satisfied. Some products were shipped out by wagon, including such items as dowels for the walls of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
(C&O). The adjacent casting house made farming implements, mine car wheels and track, and household utensils. The furnace output was mostly in the form of pig iron
, which was sold to be recast, or worked.
Ore for the furnace came from mines on the hill behind the furnace. Tram roads were used to transport the ore to the furnace. Later, the mine tunnels were used as storage cellars by residents on the hill. Ore was also mined on the opposite hillside, above the (later) silk factory, and the area around Buck Hill. Ore also came from Koontz (now called Midland, Maryland
). The Tilley Field was on Hugh Weir's property, on the east side of a fork of Laurel Run
.... Read More