The College of Architecture
) at the Georgia Institute of Technology
was established in 1908 as the Department of Architecture, offering the first four-year course of study in architecture
in the Southern United States
The history of the College of Architecture spans over 100 years. The College of Architecture was named in 1975, having evolved from the School of Architecture and the Department of Architecture
begun in 1908. For most of the 20th century, the Architecture curriculum was directed by masters of architecture, mostly Harvard
graduates (until 1975).
In 1908, Georgia Tech (as the "Georgia School of Technology") formally began teaching architecture, when Preston A. Hopkins of Boston was appointed to teach the entering class of 20 students and organize the curriculum. The new Department of Architecture
, although small, was equal in rank to other academic departments of engineering at Tech. Francis P. Smith (B.S. Univ. of Pennsylvania
1907) was selected as the first department head in 1909. In 1911, the first degrees, the Bachelor of Science in Architecture
, were granted. This event placed Georgia Tech among the earliest public universities in the U. S. to offer an architecture degree. By 1912, the Department of Architecture grew to 42 full-time students with three faculty members.
By 1930, the... Read More