The platforms are short, and can barely accommodate a British Rail Class 153 train, meaning that not all trains, especially double-formed trains stop here.
Built as a halt by the Rhymney Railway in 1908 for recently introduced steam railmotors, some 50 years after the line first opened. Although very close, the halt did not serve the Brecon and Merthyr Railway which passed behind, on its way to Bargoed south Junction.
Mondays to Saturdays there is an hourly service between Bargoed and Penarth. Sundays there is a two-hourly service between Rhymney and Penarth.