The Golda Meir School
(originally Fourth Street School
) for gifted and talented students is a Milwaukee Public Schools
district elementary school in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
. It was renamed in honor of Golda Meir
, the fourth Prime Minister of Israel
, who attended the institution from 1906 to 1912. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
and designated a National Historic Landmark
Situated next to the historic Schlitz Brewing Complex
of the same era, the Fourth Street School was designed in 1889 by noted Milwaukee architect Henry C. Koch
in Romanesque Revival
style. It was completed by 1890 and opened its doors on September 2, 1890.
H-shaped in plan, the school
has four stories (basement included) and contains 16 classrooms along with an auditorium. A single story heating plant was added in 1915, with a fuel room to follow in 1937. Fire escapes and enclosure of the stairways brought the building up to code in 1957. Renovation of the interior and exterior took place in 1976, during which a cafeteria was added.
The facility should not be confused with the neighboring Milwaukee Education Center middle school, currently housed in the Malt House of the rehabilitated Schlitz Complex. Golda Meir has actually added a middle school to their building, which is located on the first floor of the building. There are 90 students in the 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade at this school. Since the school only has room for 30 children in each middle... Read More