Golf Street railway station
is located on Golf Street in Carnoustie
, and serves the town's western areas. The station opened in 1948 as Golf Street Halt
before changing its name on 16 May 1983.
British Rail operated local passenger services between Dundee and Arbroath until around 1990. Since these were discontinued, most of the intermediate stations have had only a very sparse service, provided so as to avoid the difficulty of formal closure procedures. Currently (summer 2008), First ScotRail
provides Golf Street with only one train a day in each direction, Mondays to Saturdays. These offer through service to/from Edinburgh, but are not timed conveniently for passengers wishing to commute to Dundee. Consequently, patronage of the station is currently very low. In the Strategic Rail Authority
's 2002/3 financial year, only nine people (excluding season ticket holders) paid fares at Golf Street station, with nine disembarking, making it the third least busy station in the United Kingdom
, after and neighbouring . In 2005/06 there were 65 passenger entries/exits at the station (9th lowest in the UK), but this dropped to 38 (4th lowest) in 2006/07.
During the 1999 Open Championship
, extra services were laid on to bring spectators to Carnoustie Golf Links
, significantly boosting passenger figures for that year., Scotland on Sunday