Gordon Bell High School
is a public junior and senior high school in Winnipeg
From “Purple & Gold 1982 -- 50th Anniversary” Yearbook:
"The building operations of the Board for 1925 have become limited. To avoid overcrowding in the neighbouring schools, an addition of 10 rooms to the Faraday School was built and this addition was ready for occupation when school opened in September. To relieve congestion in the south, both in elementary and high school accommodation, they decided to build an intermediate school at the corner of Maryland and Wolseley Avenue. This building now in course of creation will be ready for occupation in September 1926."
"This building," referred to in the above minutes of the Annual School Board, 1925, became the original Gordon Bell School which did open in September, 1926, just forty-five years after the opening of the first Public School, which was built under the direction of The Protestant School District of the city of Winnipeg. The Central School, as it was named, was not the first school operating in Winnipeg, but it was the first to be operated under an elected School Board. The first election of trustees was held on the 18th of July, 1871. Three trustees were elected; Mr. Stuart Mulvey, Mr. W. Fonseca and Mr. Archibald Wright. It was most interesting to note that only one of the three, Mr. Mulvey subsequently had a school named for him. The present Gordon Bell was built on the original... Read More