The Grandmaster's Palace
(officially referred to as The Palace
) is located in Valletta
. It currently houses the Office of the President of Malta
and the House of Representatives
, as well as being a heritage site run by Heritage Malta
The Palace was one of the first buildings in Valletta, erected in 1571. The original building was the house of Eustachio del Monte, a nephew
of Grandmaster Jean de la Vallette
, founder of the city. This house was purchased and Girolamo Cassar
was commissioned to design a palace.
Over the years, the Palace was enlarged and developed by successive Grandmasters to serve as their official residence. In the 18th-century, traveller Patrick Brydone
noted that: <blockquote>the Grand Master (who studies conveniency more than magnificence) is more comfortably and commodiously, lodged than any prince in Europe, the King of Sardenia perhaps only excepted.
During the British period it served as the Governor's Palace. The Council of Government and the Malta Legislative Assembly (precursors to the present day House of Representatives
) met here and it also was the first place to serve as the office of the Prime Minister
The palace is built around two courtyards, one of which is dominated by a statue of Neptune
. There are two entrances in the front and one entrance... Read More