The Grenoble tramway network is 35 km long, and comprises four lines: lines A, B, C and D. Line A was opened in 1987, line B in 1990, line C entered into service on the 20 May 2006 and line D opened on the October 2007. There previously existed a network of tramways in Grenoble, between 1894 and 1952. Grenoble became the second French city to reintroduce the tramway, after Nantes.
Grenoble tramway is served by a total of 103 trams. Of those, the older 53 are Alsthom TFS trams, whilst the newer 50, which started entering into service with the opening of the B line extension and the C line, are Alstom Citadis trams.
The network comprises 65 stations, 12 of which are shared by two lines:
The line A has 29 stations.
The line B has 20 stations.
The line C has 19 stations.
The line D has 6 stations
Line B will be extended from Cité Internationale to the Polygone Scientifique early in 2013.
A new line, Line E, will run from Grenoble city centre to the suburb at St-Egreve, replacing bus line number 3. and is projected to be complete by 2014.