Grimesthorpe engine shed was an engine shed in Grimesthorpe, Sheffield. It was built by the Midland Railway and opened in 1860 to serve the Midland Main Line. The shed was built next to Grimesthorpe Junction, the building was a brick roundhouse shed, an eight road fitting shop was added in 1898. Up until 1935, Grimesthorpe shed code was 25, then changed to 19A by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. Locomotive classes assigned to Grimesthorpe by the London Midland Region in 1952 included LMS 4F 0-6-0s, Midland Railway 2F 0-6-0s, LMS 3F 0-6-0T and Stanier 8F locos. Grimesthorpe gained the shed code of 41B after transfer to British RailwaysEastern Region in 1958. The shed officially closed on 11 September 1961, however it continued to be used to stable diesel locomotives for several years until Tinsley Marshalling Yard and its depot opened.
Fox, Peter, (1990) The Midland Line in Sheffield, Sheffield: Platform 5 Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-872524-16-8.
Pixton, B., (2000) North Midland: Portrait of a Famous Route, Cheltenham: Runpast Publishing.