) is a community located near the northern tip of the island
country of Saint Lucia
. Originally a quiet fishing village, it has gone on to become one of the more popular tourist destinations in the country.
Originally settled by the Carib
(and possibly Arawak
), a French
map from 1717 provides the first identification of the area as Gros Islet. The community has had a long history of being a Roman Catholic parish
, as the first priests
who arrived on the island settled in the village in 1749.
In 1778, as a retaliation for the declaration of war on the British
by the French, the British navy
captured the island of Saint Lucia from the French, and built a naval base
at Gros Islet Bay in 1782 - temporarily changing the name to Fort Rodney. The island as a whole has switched hands between the British and French throughout its existence.
In modern times, the community has continued to flourish. Between 1991 and 2001 the population rose 54%; Of this number, 9,307 were male and 10,102 were female.<ref... Read More