is a small coastal town north of Perth
, Western Australia
at the mouth of the Moore River
in the Shire of Gingin
It was originally known as Gabbadah
, an Aboriginal term meaning "mouthful of water" until its gazetting as a town in 1951. The river mouth regularly opens and closes depending on the seasons, and alternates between a closed lagoon and a tidal estuary.
The town is a popular holiday destination for Perth residents who commonly refer to it as Moore River
The area has been used as a camping and recreation spot since 1905 when the residents of nearby Gingin petitioned for a road to be constructed to the area. The area was declared as a recreation area in 1907.
In 1931, 40 17th-century silver guilder coins were found in the sandhills near the entrance to the Moore River - thus the name Guilderton
. The coins were thought to be from the wreck of the Dutch ship, the Vergulde Draeck
(Gilt Dragon) that had foundered on a reef north of the river-mouth near Ledge Point
Soldiers used the area as a rest and recreation area during World War II
The township was gazetted and named Guilderton on 28 November 1951; the area was known locally as Moore River until this time.
In 1983, the Federal Department of Transport established a lighthouse at Wreck Point, Guilderton near the river mouth at a cost of $240,000.