<!-- Infobox begins --> <!-- Infobox ends -->Guysborough
(population: 992) is an unincorporated Canadian
community in Guysborough County
, Nova Scotia
Located on the western shore of Chedabucto Bay, fronting Guysborough Harbour, it is the administrative seat of the Guysborough municipal district
The Mi'kmaq name for the village of Guysborough was Chedabuctou. The village of Guysborough was first settled by europeans in 1634 by Isaac de Razilly. He built a fort named Fort St François à Canso at the entrance to the harbour. In 1655 Nicolas Denys
, governor of the new St Lawrence Bay Province, built Fort Chedabuctou on Fort Point to serve as his capital. The fort was later replaced and renamed Fort St Louis.
In 1682, a permanent settlement was started by Clerbaud Bergier
. A group cleared land and spent the winter with the first crops being planted in 1683. Louis-Alexandre des Friches de Meneval
landed at Chedabouctou in 1687 when arriving to take up his position as governor of Acadia.
Claude Bergier led other merchants from La Rochelle, France
in enjoying a fishing monopoly in Acadia. In 1682, Fort St. Louis was established by the Company of Acadia (Compagnie de la Peche Sedentaire) to protect the fishery. The principal ports were at Chedabucto Bay
, which accounted for fifty fishers in 1686. Dauphin de Montorgueil was the commandant at Fort... Read More