is a suburb in central Hamilton
in New Zealand
. The suburb's primary commercial and retail precinct is located along Grey Street. Hamilton East is characterised by villas and bungalows built early in the 20th century.
Hamilton East is one of Hamilton's oldest suburbs. From the 1870s until the mid-20th century, Hamilton East was sometimes known as ‘Irishtown’. A significant number of the militiamen who settled there were of Irish descent
, and many other Irish Catholics came to live near the Catholic Church and convent.
The town of Hamilton East merged with Hamilton West
in 1877. Many of the streets were named after famous figures of the New Zealand Land Wars
, including Governor George Grey
chief Te Awaitaia
, who went by the name William Naylor/Wiremu Neera when he converted to Christianity. Evidence of planning for the centre of the village can be seen in the village green
concept of Steele Park and the planting of English trees along Grey Street. Hamilton East is one of the few suburbs of Hamilton to have a street grid plan
Many of the parks in Hamilton East, including Hamilton Gardens
, are located on the original Hamilton Town Belt
that runs along the eastern and southern border of Hamilton East.
Features of Hamilton East
Hamilton Gardens, a 58 hectare public park, is located along the banks of the Waikato River
.... Read More