Hamilton Girls' High School
is a state single sex high school
starting at Year 9 going up to Year 13. It is located on Ward Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
. It is a decile 6
school and offers boarding
Hamilton High School was opened to students on 10 July 1911, on the current site of Hamilton Girls' High School. The first Principal was Mr Eben Wilson and he was followed by Mr H D Tait in 1937.
In 1955 the school divided, and Hamilton Girls High School retained the original site with Miss Joan Ellis being the first Principal. She was followed by Miss Lesley Anderson in 1958, Miss Pat Edbrooke in 1969, Mrs Lyn Scott in 1982, Mrs Judith Miles in 1988 and Mrs Lil Garland in 1998. Mrs Mary Ann Baxter is our current Principal starting Term 2 2004.
The buildings have changed significantly over the years - all that remains of the original school is the front steps to the original building, and these now lead to the Wharenui and Wharekai and Maori Language area. There is a sense of history in the grounds.
The school is supported by a boarding Hostel, Sonninghill, which caters for 130 girls.
The Hamilton High and Girls' High School Old Girls' Association supports Hamilton Girls' High School and has three functions a year which any past pupil can attend.