(originally Bedford Parish) is one of the nine parishes of Bermuda
. It was renamed for Scottish aristocrat James Hamilton, 2nd Marquess of Hamilton
(1589-1625) when he purchased the shares originally held in the Virginia Company by Lucy, Countess of Bedford.
It is located in the northwest of the island chain, and is split in two by the large Harrington Sound
, occupying all but the south and northeastern tip of its coast. The islands within the sound also form part of the parish. It is joined to Smith's Parish
in the south, and St. George's Parish
in the northeast. As with most of Bermuda's parishes, it covers just over 2.3 square miles (about 6.0 km² or 1500 acres).
Natural features in Hamilton include Flatt's Inlet
, Trunk Island
, Shelly Bay
, Bailey's Bay
, Mangrove Lake
, Trott's Pond
, Crystal Cave
, Castle Harbor
, and The Causeway
, which links Hamilton with St. George's Parish.
Notable locations in Hamilton include the Bermuda Aquarium and Museum
and the small settlement of Flatt's Village
. Historically, the Colony's government had on occasion met in Flatts Village, rather than the then Capital of St. George's. The Village had prospered, in the days when the Colony's economy was seafaring, according to popular accounts, due to its distance from customs officials in St. George's.
Bailey's Bay, on the north shore of the Parish has also long been a thriving community, although it has never attained the status of a municipality. The name is used to denote an area... Read More