Hamilton's Fraser High School
(HFHS) is the second largest secondary school in Hamilton, New Zealand
. The school began in 1920 as Hamilton Technical Day School (later amended to Hamilton's Technical High School in 1924). From its central city site on the Garden Place Hill, now occupied by Wintec
, the school was an integral part of the growth and development of Hamilton
. For the next 50 years, many of the pupils went on to become influential commercial, political, sporting and cultural leaders in Hamilton.
In 1970 the school moved to the northwest suburbs of Hamilton and was re-established as a comprehensive co-educational secondary school. At this time the school was called Fraser High School. The school took its name from the original Principal, Whampoa Fraser. In 1998 the name was modified slightly to Hamilton's Fraser High School to reflect their historical link to Hamilton Technical Day School, and to give a stronger geographical link to Hamilton. The Māori
name of the school is Te Kura Tuarua o Taniwharau
The former principal of the school, Martin Elliott, caused some controversy over his use of obscenities during his ill-fated run for the Mayoralty of Hamilton
Hamilton Fraser High School contains approximately 1657 students and 200 staff.
In 2001 the school suffered a huge loss when the school gymnasium was burnt down by vandals. A newer and larger gym was built in its place thanks to large support from the community. Also the... Read More