is the Hauptbahnhof
for the city of Hanover
in Lower Saxony
The first station on the current site, a temporary building serving the line to Lehrte
, was erected in 1843. From 1845 to 1847, a more permanent station, one of the first through stations, was built on the same site.
After tearing down the old buildings in 1875, today's station was constructed from 1876 to 1879, further extended by an additional station hall in 1910.
The station was badly damaged during World War II
and underwent extensive remodeling, finished in 1948. By 1963, the rails were electrified and in 1973 construction of the Hanover-Würzburg high-speed rail line
The station building itself underwent extensive remodeling in the 1970s during the construction of the Hanover Stadtbahn
system, opening in 1976 and 1979 and including a passenger tunnel underneath the station, connecting the inner city district around Kröpcke
to the Stadtbahn
station at Raschplatz
In 1991, regular InterCityExpress
services began calling at the station, it being the northern point of Germany's first dedicated high speed train line.
The station underwent remodeling again for the Expo 2000
, construction finishing on 1 May 2000. The station was equipped with a shopping centre, lifts to all platforms and new signage according to the current DB corporate design
The long-neglected passenger subway below the station, which was built in the 1970s for the Hannover Stadtbahn
, underwent extensive remodeling from... Read More