() is a steel
railway bridge over the river Padma
located in western Bangladesh
. It is named after Lord Hardinge
, who was the Viceroy
from 1910 to 1916. The bridge is 1.8 kilometers (1.1 mi) long.
Construction of the bridge began in 1910, though it was proposed at least 20 years earlier. It took almost 2 years for it to be completed, and trains started moving on it in 1915 .
The construction of a railway Bridge over the Padma was proposed by the Eastern Bengal Railway in 1889 for easier communication between Calcutta
and the then Eastern Bengal
and discussed for more than twenty years before it was finally sanctioned for construction in 1908. In 1902, Sir FJE Spring prepared a detailed project on the bridge. A technical committee appointed in 1908 reported that a bridge could be constructed at Sara crossing the lower Ganges
between Paksey and Bheramara Upazila
stations on the broad gauge railway from Khulna
to Parbatipur Upazila
. The construction of the bridge started in 1910 and finished in 1912. British engineer Sir Robert Gailes worked as the chief engineer of the construction. On 1 January 1915, the first trial train crossed the bridge down track and on 25 February of the same year the second trial train crossed the bridge up track. Finally on 4 March 1915 Lord Hardinge inaugurated the bridge. A total of 24,000 people were employed for constructing the bridge.
The Hardinge Bridge is 1.8 km... Read More