is a theological college in Hartford
Seminaries in the city of Hartford date back to 1833. In 1913, the current Hartford Seminary came into existence through the combination of three Hartford-based schools affiliated with the city's Congregationalist
churches: the School for Christian Workers, the Bible Normal School and the Hartford School of Missions. As the Institution became more established, the Seminary began to offer niche concentrations in Christian-Muslim dialogue (in 1972) and, in 1990, Hartford Seminary officially claimed non-denominational status.
Hartford Seminary claims that its "influence reaches far beyond the walls of churches, mosques and synagogues. Its work strengthens the moral character of society...Hartford Seminary also strengthens religious communities through its programs of research and education. By studying and sharing information, it enables local faith communities to remain strong."
The library contains more than 83,000 volumes and 312 periodicals.
Hartford Seminary is centered around three academic centers: The Center for Faith in Practice, Hartford Institute for Religion Research, and The Duncan Black Macdonald Center for the Study of Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations.
The Seminary has a Black Ministries Program, founded in 1982. Also, in 1994, the Seminary launched a similar program called Programa de Ministerios Hispanos. This certificate program,... Read More