is a castle
located in the town centre at Haverfordwest
, south Wales
, located in a naturally defensive position at the end of a strong, isolated ridge. The castle was established during Norman times in 1120 but much of the architecture remaining today is dated to 1290. For centuries the castle was an English stronghold.There are several other notable castles in area; Wiston Castle
lies 6 miles to the northeast and Pembroke Castle
lies 12 miles to the south.
Pembrokeshire Records indicate that there was an Iron Age hill fort on the site of the castle although there is no physical evidence to suggest this on the present location. The Flemish
settled in the area in 1108 to protect the main Norman stronghold at Pembroke Castle
from Welsh raiders from the north.
The vast majority of sources indicate that the structure was originally a Norman architecture
stone keep and bailey fortress, founded by the Englishman Gilbert de Clare
, earl of Pembroke in 1120. Pembrokeshire Records insist that... Read More