had one of the earliest railway stations in the country, being part of a horse-drawn tramway.
Railway Lines from Hay Station
The Hay Railway
opened from the Brecon & Abergavenny Canal
on 7 May 1816. The line was opened from Hay to Clifford Castle
on 30 July 1817. The line was not completed between The Lakes at Clifford
until 1 December 1818 because of the problem of the river crossing at Whitney-on-Wye
. The Hay Railway was sold in 1860 to the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway
(HH&BR) which made use of parts of its route.
The HH&BR was a struggling local line, much of it built by Thomas Savin
, contractor and builder of many Welsh lines. It was completed in 1864. Like most local lines it was eventually rescued by a larger company – not the Great Western Railway
, in whose territory it might be thought to lie – but the Midland Railway
, which used it and other lines which it acquired or had running powers over, to put together a through route from Birmingham
via Hereford, Brecon, the Neath and Brecon Railway
and the Swansea Vale Railway
The Golden Valley Railway
, which had its northern junction at Hay and ran through the Golden Valley
, was built between 1876 and 1889, was closed down in 1898, and then rescued by the Great Western Railway in 1901. It survived as a passenger line until 1951 and goods until the 1950s.
The whole of the Hereford to Brecon lines including Hay were completely... Read More