, founded in 1804, is a small, independent, college preparatory boarding and day school for boys and girls in grades six through postgraduate.
Hebron Academy is one of the nation's oldest endowed boarding schools: the school was chartered in 1804 and opened its doors in 1805. In 2004, the school observed its 200th anniversary.
Hebron Academy was founded by Revolutionary War
veterans from Massachusetts
who received land in the District of Maine
as compensation for their military service. They settled the community in the late 18th century, established a church, and then chartered the school in 1804. The early settlers faced many challenges, including making a living in the wilderness, building a community, governing themselves, and educating young people in such a thinly populated settlement.
Among the settlers was Deacon William Barrows, who led the effort to establish Hebron Academy and was a member of its Board of Trustees for 33 years, until his death in 1837. Interest in the school stretched well beyond the small settlement of Hebron. Five of the nine original trustees came from surrounding towns including New Gloucester, Paris, Turner, and Minot.
The school opened its doors in 1805 to 25 young scholars, boys and girls. Many students rented rooms from Deacon Barrows and area farmers. By 1807, there were 50 students. The first dorm would not be built until 1829. From the beginning, Hebron was an inclusive, welcoming community. Girls... Read More