The Heidelberg Castle
(in German language
named: Heidelberger Schloss
) is a famous ruin in Germany and landmark of Heidelberg
. The castle ruins are among the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps.
The castle has only been partially rebuilt since its demolition in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is located up the northern part of the Königstuhl
hillside, and thereby dominates the view of the old downtown. It is served by an intermediate station on the Heidelberger Bergbahn funicular railway
that runs from Heidelberg's Kornmarkt to the summit of the Königstuhl.
The earliest castle structure was built before AD 1214 and later expanded into 2 castles circa 1294; however, in 1537, a lightning-bolt destroyed the upper castle. The present structures had been expanded by 1650, before damage by later wars and fires. In 1764, another lightning-bolt destroyed some rebuilt sections.
Heidelberg was first mentioned in 1196 as "Heidelberch". In 1155 Conrad of Hohenstaufen
was made the Count Palatine
by his half-brother Frederick Barbarossa
, and the region became known as the Palatinate
. The claim that Conrad's main residence was on the Schlossberg (Castle Hill), known as the Jettenbühl
, cannot be substantiated. The name "Jettenbühl"... Read More