The New York-based architectural firm of Heins & LaFarge
<!--styling Heins & LaFarge is correct-->, composed of Philadelphia-born architect George Lewis Heins
(1860–1907) and Christopher Grant LaFarge
(1862–1938) - the eldest son of the artist John LaFarge
, famous especially for his stained glass panels - were responsible most notably for the original Romanesque-Byzantine east end and crossing
of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
, New York, and for the original Astor Court buildings of the Bronx Zoo
, which formed a complete ensemble reflecting the esthetic of the City Beautiful
movement. Heins & Lafarge provided the architecture and details for the Interborough Rapid Transit
, the first subway system of New York.
The two young men met at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
and trained together in the Boston offices of Henry Hobson Richardson
. In 1886, they opened their office. Heins was the man on the site; LaFarge was the principal designer.
In 1888, a design competition for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
, the most prominent project of its kind in the US, was entered by 68 architectural firms, and won in 1891 by Heins & LaFarge, with an eclectic design, based on Romanesque forms but with many Byzantine and Gothic elements, dominated by a massive spired tower over the crossing The cornerstone was laid December 27, 1892, but unexpectedly, massive excavation was required before bedrock... Read More