In the early days of the colony of New South Wales, it was sometimes known as Stonequarry Cove and Stone Quarry Creek. This may have been because there was once a nearby quarry in Five Dock.Russell, Eric. Drummoyne: a western suburbs' history from 1794. Drummoyne, N.S.W.: Council of the Municipality of Drummoyne, Second Edition, 1982. ISBN 0-9599312-1-X.
Much of the land around the bay is publicly accessible foreshore or parkland. The bay is a popular location for rowing regattas.