The Henry French House
, also known as the Salmon-French House, is located in Jeffersonville, Indiana
, within the Port Fulton
area. It was next door to the Civil War Hospital in Port Fulton/Jeffersonville. It was built in Federal/Colonial Revival, and was added in 1989 to the National Register of Historic Places
due to its architecture and place in maritime history. It is a few blocks from another house on the National Register, the Howard Steamboat Museum
Henry French (born December 19, 1812 in Philadelphia
- May 4, 1878 ) was one of the first steamboat builders in the area. Between himself, his father Daniel French
, and his brothers William and George, twenty steamboats were built at Port Fulton. Eventually, his business was swallowed by the larger Howard enterprise.
It is a private residence, and the current occupants have renovated it in a fashion similar to its original state.
The current occupant's Knowledge and Oral Tradition