One of his achievements was the restoration of the fortunes of his family estate. In 1879 a serious fire destroyed much of Clumber House, he had it magnificently rebuilt to designs by the younger Charles Barry. The duke was actively involved in the rebuilding process, and in particular in the design and building of the magnificent St Mary the Virgin Chapel in the grounds. He was also responsible for the establishment of the Clumber Choir School. His Thames Valley estate was at Forest Farm in Winkfield.