is a botanical garden
located at 170 Hotel Road, Hershey, Pennsylvania
, near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
. They are set on top of pat's hill overlooking Hersheypark
. It was built as a gift from chocolate magnate Milton S. Hershey
for his community and to honor his wife, Catherine.
The Hershey Gardens first opened to the public on June 2, 1937 as a rose garden
occupying . On the first day more than 20,000 visitors came to see the rose garden. In 1937, 1939 and 1941 Milton Hershey added more gardens. By 1941 the gardens had been enlarged to their current size, .In September 1938 the American Rose Society
honored Milton Hershey
's dedication to roses by naming a rose after him. L.B. Coddington, a prominent rose hybridiser from Murry Hill, NJ
, proposed that a scarlet-crimson red (velvet black red) rose he was developing be named ‘M.S. Hershey.’
In 1942, the land to the east of the Rose Garden was deemed unfit on which to farm or build houses. At this Milton Hershey gave Erdman the orders to make another garden. He asked for no plans or cost estimates. Only telling Erdman he would tell him to stop if it got too big.
An admission fee was instituted in 1973. To increase visitation horticultural changes were made. The most significant of these changes was the... Read More