The Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
) is an Assembly Government Sponsored Body
, and anintermediary body between the Welsh Assembly Government
and the higher education
sector in Wales
HEFCW is responsible for funding higher education in Wales. It distributes funds for education, research and related activities at eleven higher education institutions, including the teaching activities of the Open University in Wales. It also funds higher education courses at further education colleges.
Its vision is to develop and sustain internationally excellent higher education in Wales, for the benefit of individuals, society and the economy, in Wales and more widely.
The organisation strategically uses resources from the Welsh Assembly Government and others to:• secure higher education learning and research of the highest quality;• make the most of the contribution of higher education to the culture, society and economy or Wales; and• ensure high quality, accredited teacher training across Wales.
In order to
• Enhance social justice; and
• Support a buoyant economy.
HEFCW has five strategic themes:
- Widening access: ensuring equity, opportunity and success in higher education.
- Student experience: ensuring that the student learning experience is of high quality.
- Skills: ensuring that all graduates are equipped for the world of work and for their role as citizens.
- Knowledge transfer: ensuring more productive relationships between higher......