Highland Scottish Omnibuses Ltd
was formed as a bus operating subsidiary of the Scottish Transport Group
in June 1985 from Highland Omnibuses Ltd, and operated until October 1995 when the company was split into two - Highland Bus & Coach and Highland Country Buses. The companies have since remerged and operate today as Highland Country Buses.
From its head office in Seafield Road, Inverness
, Highland Scottish operated over the massive geographical, but sparsely populated, area of the Highland
region of north west Scotland
Highland Scottish was the largest operator in north west Scotland and was responsible for urban, rural and interurban services in and around the towns of Inverness, Aviemore
and Fort William
, with depots located in these towns. Services extended to Oban
in the south, and Highland also operated coaches on long distance Scottish Citylink
work, linking Inverness and the north west to Glasgow
and points in England
Highland Scottish only operated services on the mainland. Services in the Inner
and Outer Hebrides
were operated by local independent operators.
On May 16, 2008 it was finally announced that the long anticipated purchase of Highland Country Buses (and Orkney Coaches Ltd) by Stagecoach Group had been finalised.
Highland Scottish can be traced back to 1952 when Highland Omnibuses was created when Highland Transport, Macrae & Dick and... Read More