Hillingdon tube station
is a London Underground
station in North Hillingdon
in the London Borough of Hillingdon
, west London
The station is on the Uxbridge branch
of both the Metropolitan line
and Piccadilly line
, between Ickenham
stations and in Travelcard Zone 6
The Metropolitan Railway
(Harrow and Uxbridge Railway
) constructed the line through Hillingdon between Harrow on the Hill
and Uxbridge and commenced services on 4 July 1904 with, initially, the only intermediate stop being at Ruislip
. At first, services were operated by steam trains, but track electrification
was completed in the subsequent months and electric trains began operating on 1 January 1905.
Progressive development in the north Middlesex
area over the next two decades lead to the gradual opening of additional stations along the Uxbridge branch to encourage the growth of new residential areas. Hillingdon was the last of these stations to open on 10 December 1923 when services on the Metropolitan and District
Lines first stopped at the station.
On 23 October 1933 District Line services were replaced by Piccadilly Line trains. Between the mid 1930s and the mid 1950s the station was named as Hillingdon (Swakeleys)
, and shown as such on tube maps
and the station name signs.
The station was demolished to enable the rerouting of the A40
) which now runs through the original site. A new station opened south along the line from the original in 1994, and received that year's... Read More