is a suburban area within the London Borough of Hillingdon
, situated 14.2 miles (22.8 km) west of Charing Cross
The name Hillingdon appears in the 1086 Domesday Book
as "Hillendone", meaning "hill of a man named Hille".
Hillingdon was an ancient parish
, and had within it the chapelry
, which became a separate civil parish in 1866.
In 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894
, Hillingdon parish was divided into two: with Hillingdon West becoming, with Uxbridge
, part of the Uxbridge Urban District
, and Hillingdon East becoming part of the Uxbridge Rural District
. Uxbridge Rural District was abolished in 1928, with the East parish being added to Uxbridge Urban District. Both East and West parishes were abolished in 1938 and added to Uxbridge parish.
The name was revived in 1965, under the London Government Act 1963
as the name of the western-most borough of Greater London
, Oak Farm Primary School, Ryefield Primary School, Hillingdon Primary School, Abootsfield School, ACS Hillingdon
and Swakeleys School are all within Hillingdon.
The nearest places are Cowley
, West Drayton
Hillingdon tube station
is served by the Metropolitan
and Piccadily lines
of the London Underground
The London Buses route U2
, serves... Read More